Friday, November 2, 2012

The Art of Autumn

I'm so sorry for missing a couple of weeks here!  I *am* sculpting again (yay!) but I'm not quite ready to share (I know, boo!), so I was a little at a loss as to what to blog about.  But surveying the landscape of late has given me fresh inspiration.

Being born & raised in Southern CA, fall colors were something at which I marveled.  In December, two types of trees would turn (in their little squares of dirt, in between the concrete sidewalks and the street).    Scattered dots of color that brightened the often bleak landscape; I loved them.  But I never really understood the concept of autumn, until I spent a year living in Illinois.  After seeing what fall really could be like, I knew I needed to live in a place with a bit more nature, and a few more seasons!  I think I found the right mix here in WA; we have definite seasons, though they're a bit more mild than in the mid-west! 

Anyhow…  We are blessed to have six Japanese Maples that came with our new house.  Five of them have turned (one of them is a little past its peak now!).  Fantastic works of art, from our Creator's hand.  Here are the four that are at their best:

This guy glows neon orange when the sky is gray (which is often!).


Our tallest tree- it was all green this summer:


The third back yard maple.  It was dark red, and now has turned brilliant:


I call this last one "Firework!"  It used to be green.


And all over the neighborhood, and in the parks and forests around here, I'm seeing much of the same thing.  I'm going to enjoy it while I can!  Thanks to the many evergreens up here, I don't have to worry about a completely bare winter, but I'm going to miss these colors when they go.  Hope you're finding some of nature's art in your neck of the woods!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment